Trading standards

If you feel that a trader has broken the law or acted unfairly, your local trading standards office can investigate.

You should report a company if, for example:

  • they misled you into buying their products or services
  • they sold you unsafe or dangerous items
  • they didn’t carry out the work properly, for example, their work left your home in a dangerous state
  • they sold you fake or counterfeit items
  • they pressured you to buy something you didn’t want to buy
  • they sold you a car that wasn't 'roadworthy' (it would cause danger if it was on the road)

Report it

In the first instance, you should report to Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 2231133.  They will be able to help you report the issue to Trading Standards and offer free impartial advice.

Trading Standards will decide whether to investigate your problem. If they do, they might contact you for more information and evidence. Depending on what they find out, they might take action to stop the trader from acting unfairly. For example they might educate the trader about the law or take legal action against them to stop them from trading completely.

Even if Trading Standards don’t contact you, they might use your evidence to take action in the future.

More help and support

Lincolnshire County Council Trading Standards
Twitter: @lincsts

Citizens Advice Consumer Service
0808 2231133

Action Fraud

28 May 21 11:50 AM

Find your neighbourhood

Use my current location