Foreign national police registrations

Who needs to register?

If you do need to register, it should be written on your entry visa vignette (an extra page stuck in your passport), biometric residence permit or Home Office letter approving your application for leave. 

We cannot register you if you do not have a requirement in writing on any of these documents.

Please note, if you don’t register with the police when you're required to do so, it is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971. You could be fined up to £5,000 and/or put in prison for six months.  Your current or any further application for stay in the UK could also be affected.

You will need to register with us if you are 16 or older, and from one of these countries:

  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Belarus
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Cuba
  • Egypt
  • Georgia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Israel
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kirgizstan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Moldova
  • Morocco
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Palestine
  • Peru
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Tajikistan
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Uzbekistan
  • Yemen


Note: A person who holds a passport issued by the Special Administrative Region of either Hong Kong or Macao is classed as a Chinese national and needs to register.

Some 30-day visas require you to register with the police.  If this is the case it will be written on the visa. It may say:

  • ‘Pol Reg’ or
  • ‘Police Registration’ or
  • ‘Register with Police in seven days of UK entry’

Please check to be sure.

Already registered but have moved to another area?

If you go to live in another area in the UK you must report to the local police station in the new location within seven days of arriving. You must take with you:

  • your police registration certificate
  • your passport
  • evidence of your new school, university or work permit
  • your address details

There is no charge, and you will continue to use the same certificate.

Who does not need to register with the police?

If you have dual nationality with one country in the list above and one country that is not, you do not need to register with the police.

Likewise, you don’t need to register if you have permission to live permanently in the UK, are the family member of an EEA citizen, or are visiting on a temporary visa as one of the following:

  • an agricultural worker
  • a private servant in a diplomatic household
  • a minister of religion, a missionary or a member of a religious order
  • the partner of a person settled in the UK
  • a person with access rights to a child resident in the UK
  • the parent of a child at school
  • an accepted asylum seeker

If any of the above apply to you and you’ve been given a requirement to register with the police, this may be a mistake. You can contact the Home Office to ask about the requirement it gave you. 

What is a police registration certificate (PRC)?

A police registration certificate (PRC) is a document that proves you have complied with the requirement of your visa. We will issue one to you at the end of your registration process.

Your PRC may be accepted as proof of identity in the UK. However, we do not recommend you carry it with you.  Keep it in a safe place with your passport and travel documents.

If a police officer asks you to produce your PRC, you then have 48 hours to show your PRC at any police station.

How to register

If you are registering for the first time you will need to start the process online. 

We will ask you for:

  • personal details
  • contact details
  • family member’s details (if required)
  • passport details
  • visa/Travel details
  • study/employment details and access/ability to upload a passport style photograph

There is a 20 minute time limit for completing the registration process and you won't be able to save your form, so please make sure you have everything before you start. 

Once you have given us the details above you will be asked to make an appointment. Appointments will be at either Lincoln or Boston police stations.

Start your registration

Getting a replacement certificate

Your police registration certificate (PRC) is a legal document.

If you have lost your police registration certificate or it's been stolen you will be asked about the circumstances surrounding the loss or theft of your certificate during your appointment with the police.

Please note that a replacement certificate must be paid for so only apply for a replacement certificate once all methods of finding the certificate has been exhausted.

To request a new certificate and obtain an appointment to complete the process use our online system

Appointments will be at either Lincoln or Boston police stations.

If you have any questions or issues, please e-mail us at

What to bring with you 

Whether you are visiting for the first time or registering a change in your circumstances, you must bring the following with you to your appointment at the police station:

  • valid passport
  • £34 cash (for first time registrations or lost certificates only)
  • confirmation letter from university/CAS or employment contract
  • proof of address in the Lincolnshire area, for example a tenancy agreement or letter of confirmation from university (including room number)
  • visa/identity card/letter or e-mail attached to visa with requirement to register with police

Please make sure you arrive five minutes before your appointment time – if you are late, we will not be able to deal with your registration.

Reporting a change in circumstances or new VISA

If you previously registered with the Police online and you need to update your Police Registration Certificate with new visa details, new address, marriage/divorce details or a new passport, you will need to log back into your account.

Once you have successfully logged back into your account, please select ‘Transfer’ option and complete the details as requested.  Please ensure you select an appointment date & time to attend to have your existing Police Registration certificate updated.

If you have already registered in a different police force area, you will need to ‘transfer’ to Lincolnshire.  Log in to your account and follow the instructions, selecting the 'Transfer' option and complete the details as requested.

Please ensure you select an appointment date and time to attend to have your existing police registration certificate updated.

Please note: A change in your circumstances has to be reported within seven days. 

All changes are free of charge as long as you have your police registration certificate.

More help and support

Contact us about overseas visitor registration

If you have any queries please use the following contact details.

Telephone: 101 (extension 3295212)

Station addresses

Support Services
Ambulance Fire & Police Station
South Park
LN5 8EL                         

Support Services
Boston Police Station
Lincoln Lane
PE21 8QS

15 Sep 21 11:35 AM

Find your neighbourhood

Use my current location