Firearms licensing: further information

Paper applications

We continue to receive a small number of paper applications that been downloaded from a variety of internet sites.  Unfortunately a number of issues have been identified with some of these forms being either an obsolete forms or incorrectly completed. This causes significant delays in processing your application. If you wish to obtain and submit a paper application for a Grant/Renewal of a certificate, you must contact the Lincolnshire Police Firearms Licensing Department where we can assist you with your application.

Visiting us at HQ

We can accommodate certificate holders and applicants at Lincolnshire Police HQ to aid your applications or answer your queries.

We strictly only accept visitors who have a pre-booked appointment with us.

You can book a visit either by contacting the department between the hours of 13:00-16:00 (Monday to Friday) on 01522 558533 or email us on

Unannounced arrivals requesting to speak to a member of Firearms Licensing may result in a significantly long wait.

Other transactions

For all other transactions, please see forms listed below:

Land authority

You should complete a Nominated Land/Club Form with applications for firearm certificates or for extra land upon which you have authority to shoot.

Explosives certificates

All explosives certificates are issued in accordance with the Explosives Regulations (ER) 2014.

The two main types of explosive certificate are:

Acquire Only (EXA)

This allows you to acquire a defined amount of explosives (e.g. 1 kilogram) from an approved supplier and use it on that day. Any unused explosive must either be returned to the supplier or destroyed in an approved manner.

Acquire & Keep (EXK)

This allows you to store explosives at a location for the duration of the certificate. The maximum amount of explosives that may be stored will depend on the nature of the explosives and the construction of the store. A Registered Competent Authority document (RCA) allowing you to transport the explosives is issued as part of the explosive certificate.

If you are applying for the grant of a certificate you should use one of the following forms:

Form ER 2

This form should be used for applications to store between 15kg and 2000kg of explosives.

In certain circumstances, depending on the hazard type and the amount of explosives to be kept, it may be necessary for the store to be either registered or licensed.

If you know this to be a case, please download the form below. If you are not sure, please contact the unit for advice. A fee is normally charged for registered or licensed stores.

If you wish to store more than 2000kg of explosives, you should make your application to the Health and Safety Executive.

Form ER 4

This form should be used by:

  • a) Clubs, Societies or any body corporate; or
  • b) The explosives are not used in firearms or shotguns;
  • c) Individuals who are not covered by the criteria for a ER 4A

Form ER 4A

This form should be used by individuals for:

  • a) their own use in their Firearms or Shotguns; or
  • b) the possession of blackpowder/gunpowder at re-enactment events.

Form ER 4B

If you are renewing an explosives certificate, either Acquire Only (EXA) or an Acquire & Keep (EXK) and AT THE SAME TIME renewing a firearm or shotgun certificate or renewing a registered firearms dealership you may use a ER 4B.

This form CANNOT be used to change explosive certificate type from an EXA to and EXK (or vice versa).

Visitors permit

Complete Form 107 to apply for a visitor's permit (for firearms or shotguns). The form should be completed by a person who is resident in Great Britain on behalf of the visitor(s).

Registered firearms dealers

Complete Form 116 for the grant or renewal of registration as a firearms dealer.

If you hold an existing dealers registration in the county and wish to apply for additional place of business, complete Form 116A.

The Firearms (Amendment) Rules 2019 – Registered Firearms Dealers (RFD)

As of 10 June 2019, arrangements have been made to amend the Firearms Rules 1998 to require RFD applicants to complete a medical declaration and to provide details of their ‘servants’ at each place of business so that relevant background checks can be completed by the police.  If you are an existing RFD you will also be required to provide details of your ‘servants’ when notifying the police of a new place of business. To reflect this change, the application forms have been updated.  Please note, all previous versions of this application form will not be received following 10 June 2019.

If you have completed medical declarations as part of your personal firearm or shotgun certificate application you will not be required to undergo medical checks a second time if a medical report from less than six months ago is on file or unless your medical circumstances have changed since the firearm or shotgun certificate was granted.  In these circumstances, you will only be required to provide details about the certificate.


Following the successful pilot project for online shooting clubs, all applications for approval (new or renewal) should be submitted directly to the Home Office via the web portal from Monday 11 June. This applies to all clubs in England and Wales. Applications will only be accepted by the Home Office, and should no longer be sent directly to the police.

Once your application has been submitted, the Home Office we will review it to determine if it is valid and, if so, pass it to the police force, who will then make necessary enquiries before sending the application back to the Home Office for consideration. If you do not provide sufficient information and supporting evidence your application is likely to be rejected as invalid and will need to be resubmitted.

Before applying you must ensure that you fulfil the criteria as set out in the Home Office Clubs’ Criteria leaflet. The cost is £84 and the certificates are valid for 6 years. You should apply to renew your approval at least 3 months before it’s due to expire.

Apply on the Home Office website.

Section 11(6) Exemption Permit – Clay Pigeon Shoots

To organise a Clay Pigeon Shoot you must apply for a Section 11(6) of the Firearms Act 1968 Exemption Permit.

Applications should be made using the Application for an Exemption under Section 11(6) of the Firearms Act 1968 form.

A Firearms Enquiry Officer will visit the organiser to assess the suitability of the venue. There is no fee for a Section 11(6).

Medical records checks

Our Firearms Licensing is currently one of the most effective Firearms Licensing Departments in the UK. We have changed many of our processes and made the application process faster and more effective. To further improve performance we have changed the way we handle the medical declaration you make on a Firearm or Shotgun Licensing application. This process is simple and make turnaround times faster than they already are.

You will need to request your own GP verification report before submitting your application as no applications can be accepted without the GP verification report.  The GP verification request letter is attached to your reminder letter but you can also download it below.

Once you have confirmation that Firearms Licensing have the report, you will still complete the application form as normal via the online portal ( ), ensuring you have made the correct declarations (both medical and criminal) and indicate whether you have ever been diagnosed with a relevant medical condition (Home Office Guidance on Firearms Licensing Law April 2016 Para 12.26 – 12.28).

Read more about medical records checks

Important: Dishonest medical declarations

Please ensure that you are truthful regarding your medical declaration. We refuse applications from people who have made dishonest declarations regarding health. In many of these instances the condition identified would not have been a reason for refusal.  

A dishonest declaration is a criminal offence and will result in your application being refused whereas the existence of a condition may not necessarily result in a refusal.

Particular attention should be paid to the question on your application form “Have you ever been diagnosed with or treated for any of the relevant medical conditions?”

Prohibited weapons
Young people and firearms

More help and support

Contact the Firearms Licensing Department

Firearms Licensing Department
PO Box 999
01522 558533 (Lines open between 1pm and 4pm)


Related Documents & Further Reading

28 May 21 11:50 AM

Find your neighbourhood

Use my current location