Traffic offences

If you commit a specified road traffic-related offence, an officer may issue a traffic offence report (TOR) to you.  Offences include, but is not limited to

  • Driving with no insurance
  • Driving without a seatbelt
  • Driving without MOT
  • Driving whilst using a mobile phone
  • Driving without lights on after dark
  • Certain vehicle defects
  • Speeding offences
  • No or covered number plate

The officer will take into account any mitigating or aggravating factors evident in the case.

More serious traffic offences are not dealt with by a TOR.  These include

  • drink driving
  • driving whilst disqualified
  • dangerous driving
  • careless driving

Whilst TORs are not generally used for road traffic collisions, they may be issued if another offence, such as driving without insurance, has been committed. 

What happens when you receive a traffic offence report (TOR)?

A police officer will issue a TOR at the roadside.  They will ask for your address which should be one that you can guarantee you can receive correspondence from us.

You do not need to do anything when you are issued with the TOR.  The officer will submit the TOR to the Traffic Process Unit, who will decide on the most appropriate way to deal with the alleged offence.  The Traffic Process Unit will then write to you at the address you have nominated.

We try to write to you as soon as possible but if you have not heard anything within 60 days, please contact the issuing officer whose name is on your TOR.  They will be able to provide an update of your case.

How we deal with TORs

Each case is dealt with on an individual basis but does follow guidance as set by National Police Chief's Council (NPCC).  Generally, there are three possible disposal outcomes from a TOR: 

Educational course

This option may be offered if there is an appropriate course available and have not already completed a course in the last three years.  Although we make as many courses available as possible, there are some offences for which a course is not available such as defective vehicle condition and driving without insurance or MOT.

The cost of course should be covered by you.

Completing an educational course means you will not be prosecuted for the offence.  

Conditional fixed penalty

If a course cannot be offered to you, you may be offered a conditional fixed penalty for the offence.  Penalties vary depending on the offence but you will not need to attend court.

Court summons

Your case may be referred to a Magistrates Court if the alleged offences are serious in nature and are outside the range of a course or a fixed penalty or because there are multiple endorsable offences.

You may not need to attend court in person as many offences can be process by post.

Appealing the decision

There is no option for you to appeal the decision to issue a TOR. Any consideration of mitigation or discretion was taken into account by the officer issuing the TOR at the time.  

However, you can decide to take the matter straight to court and defend yourself in court.

Changing address

You should inform us immediately if you cannot receive correspondence at the address you initially provided.  Please contact us at the address below to provide a new address.

It will help if you are able to provide details of when and where your TOR was issued in your correspondence.

More help and support

Traffic Process Team
Lincolnshire Police
PO Box 999
Tel: 01522 947280

When e-mailing, please include:

  1. Notice Reference (the 16 digit number on your NIP beginning 032)
  2. Your full name and date of birth
  3. Details of your enquiry

Alternatively, use the contact form below.

Your privacy

Find out how we use your data in our privacy notice

Contact the Traffic Processing Unit

About you
About your enquiry

* Required field

23 Sep 21 1:12 PM

Find your neighbourhood

Use my current location