Theft from unoccupied vans
Vans are often targeted by thieves for the tools stored inside. We appreciate that it is often difficult to remove all tools when the van is left overnight, although this is obviously the ideal.
You can reduce the risks by following some simple advice:
- Consider fitting a tool safe and secure it with good quality locks.
- It may sound obvious, but ensure the van is locked and windows shut whenever it is left unattended.
- Keep all possessions out of sight – don’t leave jackets, Sat Navs etc on show.
- Try to park your van close to a building or hedge to restrict access.
- Whenever possible park in a lit area that is covered by CCTV.
- If your van is older, consider fitting new locks that are more difficult to compromise – it’s not as expensive as you might think.
- Fit an alarm. There are various alarms are on the market but we recommend products that are Thatcham/Secured by Design accredited. However, a small stand alone PIR shed type alarm with a texting facility or personal attack alarm can be very loud when triggered, and will act as a deterrent and let you know that your vehicle has been entered.
- Mark the items of property/tools that are stored in the van. Ideally mark them overtly with paint pens and then seal down the marking with a clear lacquer spray. Mark property with the name of your company, the postcode, house or building number or name. Items that are overtly marked are less desirable and more difficult to sell on. CRE Products offers a property marking service in order to deter thieves and aid the recovery of stolen property.
- Take photographs of items of value, make a note of serial numbers.
HELP US TO STOP VAN CRIME.
If you see anything suspicious please call 101. If you witness a crime in progress call 999.
If you have any information about van crime you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 – no personal details are taken, information cannot be traced and you will not go to court.
More help and support
For more information contact your local Crime Reduction Tactical Advisor.
Master Locksmiths Association
The Master Locksmiths Association can help with vehicle keys & locks
www.locksmiths.co.uk/services/auto-locksmith/ - for help with vehicle locks, keys and vehicle/motorbike security
www.locksmiths.co.uk/services/auto-locksmith/lost-car-keys/ - help with stolen or lost vehicle keys
25 Nov 19 3:38 PM