Speed limits

You must not drive faster than the speed limit for the type of road and your type of vehicle. The speed limit is the absolute maximum - it doesn’t mean it’s safe to drive at this speed in all conditions.

The speeding limits for cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles are:

  • Built up areas: 30mph
  • Single carriageways: 60mph
  • Dual carriageways: 70mph unless otherwise stated
  • Motorways: 70mph

For the speed limits of all other types of vehicle, visit the gov.uk website

Notification of a speeding offence (Notice of Intended Prosecution)

A Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) is sent out when a vehicle has been detected driving over the speed limit.  

The law states that the initial notice of intended prosecution is sent within 14 days of the offence.

We send the first Notice to the vehicle’s DVLA registered keeper, who has to identify the driver. You may receive a Notice if the registered keeper has identified you as being the possible driver during the alleged speeding offence.

If you were the driver

If you were the driver at the time of the offence, you need to complete section A of the Notice of Intended Prosecution, providing your driving licence number, date of birth and telephone number.

Please return your Notice to:

Lincolnshire Police
Traffic Process Unit
PO Box 999

If you were not the driver 

If you were not the driver, you are legally responsible for providing us with the name, address and date of birth of the person who was the driver at the time of the offence.

Go to pas.lincs.police.uk and enter the details of the driver who you are nominating.  When accessing the online nomination you are NOT required to return the paper Notice.

If you fail to respond you may be prosecuted under section 172 of the Road Traffic Act of 1988 which can incur 6 points and a £1000 fine.

If you receive a Notice after the 14 day period

If you receive a notice outside of the 14 day period, it is likely that you have been nominated as the driver by someone else, or if your log book/V5 has not been updated. 

You should still make a response to the notice as instructed within the time specified on the notice, regardless of when your Notice arrived. 

If you have received a reminder but you have already responded

If you submitted a response more than seven working days ago, contact our office as soon as possible so we can confirm safe receipt of your reply or confirm you should send it again.

Receiving a Notice for a previously-owned vehicle

You will receive a notice if you are the current or last-known registered keeper of the vehicle according to DVLA records at the time the alleged offence was processed.

It is your responsibility to notify the DVLA when you dispose of your vehicle. Go to pas.lincs.police.uk and enter the details of who you sold the vehicle to.  When accessing the online system you are NOT required to return the paper Notice.

If you haven’t already, you should ensure that you have updated the DVLA. 

Notify DVLA that you have sold, transferred or bought a vehicle.

Not sure who was driving at the time of offence?

As the registered keeper/nominated driver it is your legal responsibility to provide the details of the driver at the time of the offence. If you are only able to say that one of a number of people were driving, then you should provide all of their details.

If you fail to provide any details of possible drivers, then you may have to justify that failure to a court. If you cannot say who was driving then you should outline in a covering letter what efforts you have made and how it is that you still cannot say who was driving.

If the vehicle had been stolen at the time, then you should provide details of when and where you reported this and the crime number you were given. 

If you fail to provide information that you could and should have provided, you could be prosecuted for “failing to furnish information,” which typically results in a higher penalty than for the driving offence.

Request photograph evidence

You are able to view the photographs of the offence by logging on to pas.lincs.police.uk and entering the 16 digit reference number and PIN stated on the Notice of Intended Prosecution

However, the photograph may only show the rear of the vehicle and may not assist with identification.  It is still the responsibility of the registered keeper or nominated driver to identify the person driving. 

Options available for the driver

If you were the driver and have admitted and returned your Notice to the Traffic Process Unit, there are three ways in which we can deal with the offence:

  • Speed Awareness Course (dependent on the speed at the time of offence and if you have attended one before)
  • Fixed penalty and fine
  • Court hearing

Having a clean driving history does not excuse the offence, but may mean you can avoid a court hearing.

We do not offer cautions for safety camera offences.

You will be notified of which options are available to you once an admission has been received.  The options may be dependent on the speed you were travelling at the time of the offence.  The speeding thresholds are:


Device tolerance – any speed under the 10% +2

Speed awareness course

Fixed Penalty or conditional offer

Court summons



35 – 42





46 – 53





57 – 64





68 – 75





79 – 86



(All figures in mph)

Please note that the thresholds applicable are guidelines and subject to Police discretion and can be withdrawn at any time

Speed awareness course

This option is offered if you have exceeded the speed limit within a specific threshold range (see table above) and have not already completed a speed awareness course in the last three years.  It must be completed within four months of the offence.

If you have been offered this option you will receive instructions on how to contact a national provider to book a course. You will need to contact your chosen provider to find out their fee and payment options.

Fixed penalty fine and penalty points

This option is offered if you have exceeded the speed limit within a specific threshold range (see table above) or if you have completed a speed awareness course in the last three years.

If you have been given the option of a Fixed Penalty, you will need to pay the fine before sending your licence off to be endorsed.

You can pay online or over the phone by using the options below:

  • penaltynotice.direct.gov.uk  
  • 24 hour automated payment line 0300 1231 481
  • Cheques or postal orders (must be made payable to HMCTS with your notice number written on the reverse)

Once you have paid the fine, you must send your driving licence and the completed form to:

Regional Fixed Penalty Office
PO Box 10066
LE11 9HB

Due to high demand, the waiting time for the return of licences is currently up to four weeks from receipt.

Penalty points remain valid for three years, after which time the points become invalid but a record will remain on your licence for one further year. After four years have passed the record will be removed by the DVLA. If you receive 12 points within a three year period you are liable for disqualification.  If you are liable, (i.e. 9 points already on licence) you cannot be offered the fixed penalty.

Court Hearing

This option is provided if you have exceeded the speed limit outside a specific threshold range (see table above) or if you have accumulated too many points on your licence within the last three years.

Depending on the speed you were travelling at the time of the offence, the case may be referred to the Magistrates Court.  You will be sent paperwork in order to make a plea and submit any mitigation to the Magistrates for consideration.

If you cannot comply with the options offered you must contact us as soon as possible so we can assist you.

Appealing the decision

The Traffic Process Team cannot overturn a decision therefore will not consider appeal letters.

However, if you have exceptional circumstances that you feel need to be considered you should select a court hearing (from the options as outlined below) to provide mitigation to the Magistrates for consideration.

In this instance costs may be awarded against you by the court and you may incur more penalty points.  

Notifying insurance companies

When renewing your car insurance, your insurance company may ask for some information regarding your speeding offence.

  • The date of conviction.  This is the date that the offence took place.
  • The SP code of the offence.  See table below:

These codes must stay on a driving record for four years from the date of the offence.



Penalty points


Exceeding goods vehicle speed limits

3 to 6


Exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles)

3 to 6


Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road

3 to 6


Exceeding passenger vehicle speed limit

3 to 6


Exceeding speed limit on a motorway

3 to 6

Who operates the cameras in Lincolnshire?

All cameras in Lincolnshire are operated and maintained by the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership, information and copies of calibration certificates can be found on their website www.roadlincs.com.

More help and support

Traffic Process Team
Lincolnshire Police
PO Box 999
Tel: 01522 947280
E-mail: tpu@lincs.pnn.police.uk  

When e-mailing, please include:

  1. Notice Reference (the 16 digit number on your NIP beginning 032)
  2. Your full name and date of birth
  3. Details of your enquiry

Alternatively, use the contact form below.

Your privacy

Find out how we use your data in our privacy notice

Contact the Traffic Processing Unit

About you
About your enquiry

* Required field

Related Documents & Further Reading

23 Sep 21 1:13 PM

Find your neighbourhood

Use my current location