Report domestic abuse

Move away from this page

Making the decision to report your abuser, or someone you know who is abusing someone, can be frightening –  and you should know that it is also incredibly brave.

Our officers will:

  • Listen to you, treat you with respect, and sensitivity.
  • Conduct a full risk assessment with you.
  • Investigate all incidents which occur and take positive action against the abuser.
  • Work in partnership with Social Services and inform them of any domestic abuse incidents involving children and adults at risk of harm so they can provide further help and support.
  • Keep you informed on developments of any legal proceedings. If you are required to go to court, the police and other specially trained workers will provide support, including attending court with you where necessary.  See more in our victims section.
  • Put you in contact with victim services, advocacy support and other partner organisations. These organisations can advise you regarding civil options such as; non-molestation orders and occupation orders as part of your ongoing safety planning. 

Remember, you are not to blame for what is happening and help is available.

Where we have the power of arrest we will:

  • normally arrest the perpetrator
  • prosecute offenders where appropriate
  • use any other means possible to prevent further abuse and violence
  • work to make sure that you and any other witnesses to the offences feel confident enough to report offences and give evidence in court.

You can report abuse by calling 101, or you can report it online. If you or your children are in immediate danger, always call 999.

If you are unable to speak when you call us, we can still help through Silent Solutions.

You can also call the Refuge National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247.


Making a silent 999 call

How you can make an emergency call if you are unable to speak

12 Aug 21 1:09 PM

Find your neighbourhood

Use my current location