In an emergency


Non emergency
Find your neighbourhood

Domestic abuse

Move away from this page

We are committed to supporting anyone who is a victim of domestic abuse and will work with our partner agencies to help you.

Domestic abuse is defined as:

Any incident, or pattern of incidents, of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.

Controlling behaviour is:
a range of acts designed to make a person subordinate and/or dependent by isolating them from sources of support, exploiting their resources and capacities for personal gain, depriving them of the means needed for independence, resistance and escape and regulating their everyday behaviour.

Coercive behaviour is:
an act or a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, or frighten their victim.

Domestic abuse can take place anywhere, not just in the home. Research has shown that it is rarely a one-off event. Abuse tends to happen more and more over time - each time getting more serious. Whatever the extent of the violence, the abuse almost always leaves the victim frightened, isolated, humiliated or ashamed.

Report it

If you are a victim of domestic abuse, or know someone who is, call us on 101, report it online or call 999 in an emergency.

If you or your children are in immediate danger, call 999.

If you are unable to speak when you call us, we can still handle your call.  When you call 999 you will be connected to a BT operator.  They will guide you through the process and you will be asked to 55.  Doing this will inform the call taker that your call is genuine.  They will keep the line open and will investigate your call further.  Read this guide for more details or see our video below.

Our officers will:

  • Listen to you, treat you with respect, and sensitivity.
  • Conduct a full risk assessment with you.
  • Investigate all incidents which occur and take positive action against the abuser.
  • Work in partnership with Social Services and inform them of any domestic abuse incidents involving children and adults at risk of harm so they can provide further help and support.
  • Keep you informed on developments of any legal proceedings. If you are required to go to court, the police and other specially trained workers will provide support, including attending court with you where necessary.
  • Put you in contact with victim services, advocacy support and other partner organisations. These organisations can advise you regarding civil options such as; non-molestation orders and occupation orders as part of your ongoing safety planning.

Remember, you are not to blame for what is happening and help is available.

Where we have the power of arrest we will:

  • normally arrest the perpetrator
  • prosecute offenders where appropriate
  • use any other means possible to prevent further abuse and violence
  • work to make sure that you and any other witnesses to the offences feel confident enough to report offences and give evidence in court.

You can also call the National Domestic Violence Helpline
0808 2000 247

More help and support

We are always available on 101 for help, support and advice, or on 999 in an emergency

There are other local and national organisations and services available.

Local services

End Domestic Abuse Now (EDAN) Lincolnshire
(Previously known as West Lincolnshire DA Service)
A countywide domestic abuse service that operates in all districts in Lincolnshire providing support to individuals and families affected by domestic abuse.  EDAN Lincs offers a countywide helpdesk service that operates Monday to Friday 9am-5pm. Managed by specialist staff that are able to offer immediate support and advice, as well as take referrals for EDAN Lincs support.
Tel: 01522 510041
Email: info@edanlincs.org.uk
Download the EDAN leaflet

South Lincolnshire Domestic Abuse Service (SoLDAS) 
(Previously known as Boston Women’s Aid)
Provides emergency accommodation based services. Also facilitates The Freedom Programme, continues to work in schools (Big Lottery funded) and delivering the Move on Together volunteer mentor scheme in the East of the county.
Tel: 01205 311272
Email: admin@bostonwa.co.uk

Make a Change
For those wishing to change their behaviour
Tel: 01522 246616
Email: info@makeachangelincs.org.uk

Lincolnshire County Council
Adult Social Care – 01522 782155
Children’s Social Care – 01522 782111

Spring Lodge Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
Spring Lodge is the specialist sexual assault referral centre for Lincolnshire dedicated to providing a comprehensive service to men and women who have been raped or sexually assaulted.
Spring Lodge is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm but can be contacted anytime, any day by telephone.
01522 524 402 (office hours) / 01371 812 686 (all other times)

Lincolnshire Rape Crisis
0800 3345500
Email: support@lincolnshirerapecrisis.org.uk

National Services

National Domestic Abuse Helpline
0808 2000 247

National Stalking Helpline
0808 802 0300

Women's aid

Men’s Advice Line
0808 801 0327

A national charity which runs a help-line, information and referral service for male victims of domestic abuse and domestic violence
01823 334244 (10am-4pm weekdays)

National LGBT+ and Domestic Abuse Helpline 0800 999 5428

0800 111

116 123

0808 800 44 44

Network for Surviving Stalking

National Association for People Abuse in Childhood (NAPAC) 

Information for children witnessing or experiencing domestic abuse 

Young People affected or experiencing domestic abuse 


Victim Support 

Resource for finding local solicitors for legal support and advice


Making a silent 999 call

How you can make an emergency call if you are unable to speak

Related Documents & Further Reading

23 Sep 20 3:44 PM

Find your neighbourhood

Use my current location