Not everything being sold online is legitimate. Many items could be fake, of inferior quality or even unsafe.
Here our our top tips for shopping safely online:
- Use reputable companies when shopping online.
- Use secure payment methods, such as PayPal or credit cards for online purchases.
- Ensure that payment pages are secure, by checking that addresses begin with ‘https’ (‘s’ is for secure) and there’s a closed padlock in the address bar.
- Be careful who you are selling to and buying from on auction sites.
- Try to use different passwords for different websites
- Use a secure internet connection when online shopping; avoid using public Wi-Fi.
If you have been a victim of fraud, and there isn't immediate danger, contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Action Fraud is the UK's first national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre, which takes crime reports from victims and provides a crime reference number.
Action Fraud provides a single place for victims of fraud and cyber crime to report to, or get advice on protecting themselves. For more advice, visit www.actionfraud.police.uk or call 0300 123 2040 .
20 Feb 19 1:21 PM