Access to your personal information

The General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018 give you certain rights to access data that organisations hold about you. This is known as ‘subject access’.

Some exemptions exist to prevent disclosing personal information to you in certain circumstances.

These include:

  • The prevention and detection of crime
  • The apprehension and prosecution of offenders
  • The interest of national security

We only accept requests for local information. Please follow the guidelines below if you need a copy of your police record.

Access to information held on the Police National Computer (PNC)

The Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO) processes applications to access information held about you on PNC. This includes information relating to convictions, cautions/warnings and reprimands (ACRO SAR1).

Make an application to access information held on PNC on the National Police Chief’s Council (NPCC) website.

Please do not submit an application for access to information on PNC to Lincolnshire police. We cannot process these applications and will return the application and all documentation to you to submit via the NPCC.

Access to information held on Lincolnshire Police systems

You can request access to personal information about you held on our information systems and paper records. This may be for cases where you have been a victim, witness, or an offender, to an incident reported to us.

You can apply by completing a National subject access request form (P406).  

It is possible to make a verbal request but you will still need to provide us with all relevant information to enable us to process your request as well as copies of your ID documents before we can process your request.

Please state what information you need and provide enough details for us to be able to locate this information.

If you are unable to print the form, we can send one out to you. You can contact us on:

Data Protection Team
Police Headquarters
PO Box 999
Phone: 01522 947120, 01522 947122 or 01522 947125)

When making a Subject Access request, please complete and sign the application form (P.406) and return it to us together with a copy of your ID documents as specified on the form.

Requests for information for employment purposes

The Disclosure Barring Service (DBS), formerly the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), provide vetting checks for employment purposes.

They offer three levels of checks:       

  • enhanced
  • standard
  • basic

If you work with vulnerable adults and/or children, you should contact the DBS direct. Please do not submit a subject access request form for employment purposes.

Disclosure Barring Service
Phone: 03000 200 190

A 'basic check' for people living in England is supplied by DBS. This check costs £25.

If you live in Scotland, then you need to apply to Disclosure Scotland at

This check does not show convictions classed as ‘spent’ under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Unlike a subject access check which lists all offences regardless of whether they are spent.

Emigration and visa disclosures

If you need a Police Certificate for applications for emigration, visas or residency in another country, download an application form from the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) website.

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • South Africa
  • United States of America

It is your responsibility to confirm with the relevant Embassy, High Commission or requesting authority that a Police Certificate is acceptable.

Please note, only the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) process these certificates. Applications, should not be returned to us. You should direct all submissions and enquiries relating to this process to ACRO.

For further details on your rights see our Privacy Notice.

How to obtain information for legal proceedings?
I plan to work with children and/or vulnerable adults. What checks will be made on me?
I have been asked to submit a Subject Access Request for employment purposes. Is this right?
How do I obtain a police certificate for emigration or VISA purposes?
How can employers vet their staff?
I would like to know what other information (other than convictions) is held about me. How can I find out?
My insurers want me to get a copy of police reports to support a claim. How do I get hold of them?
I am applying for a job and I’m not sure whether I have to declare my convictions?
How do I prove that my driving licence is clean?
How do I get proof that I don’t have a criminal record?
I’ve made a subject access request but haven’t received a reply yet. What should I do?
How can I ask for information to be corrected if it is inaccurate?
I made a subject access request but have lost the result. Can I get a duplicate?
Can I make a subject access request to get information on someone else’s criminal record?
How can I tell if a conviction is ‘spent’?
What is Disclosure Scotland?

More help and support

Data Protection Team
Police Headquarters
PO Box 999
Phone: 01522 947120, 01522 947122 or 01522 947125

National Police Chiefs’ Council

Disclosure Scotland

Disclosure Barring Service

Related Documents & Further Reading

22 Apr 21 2:49 PM

Find your neighbourhood

Use my current location