Two Skegness Men Sentenced for Attempted Murder and Robbery


On Thursday 26 April, two Skegness men were sentenced at Lincoln Crown court for attempted murder and robbery.

His Honour Judge Michael Heath sentenced Michael Hurst to 22 years for the attempted murder of Winford Falconer plus 9 years imprisonment for robbery. This sentence is to run concurrently. 192 days on remand are to be taken into consideration.

Aaron Hawksford was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for robbery. 141 days on remand are to be taken into consideration.


At 6.11pm on Friday 14th October 2011 police were called to an address on Alexandra Court in Skegness following the report of a man having been found with serious injuries.

On attending police found the elderly resident Winford Alberga Falconer (75 years) laying on the floor of a bedroom at the property. He had facial injuries and his upper clothing was soaked with blood. Paramedics attended the address and discovered that Mr Falconer had a single stab wound to his chest near to his heart.

Mr Falconer was transported by ambulance to Boston Pilgrim Hospital where he received emergency treatment. He was then transferred to Nottingham City hospital for specialist care. Mr Falconer spent several weeks in hospital following this incident and was released from Hospital care just prior to Christmas 2011. He suffered a stroke whilst recovering from his injuries and has been unable to return to his home address. He is currently resident at a care home.

Police enquiries revealed that the actual attack on Mr Falconer took place at approximately 8pm on Thursday 13th October 2011, meaning that Mr Falconer had lay injured at his address for some 22 hours.

On 15th October 2011, Michael Hurst aged 21years of Wainfleet Road in Skegness was arrested on suspicion of robbery and the attempted murder of Mr Falconer. Detectives interviewed him at Boston Police Station, and he was subsequently charged on 17th October 2011. He appeared before Boston Magistrates the same day and was refused bail, and remanded in custody.

On 17th October 2011 Aaron Hawksford aged 23 years of Lincoln Road in Skegness was arrested on suspicion of robbery and the attempted murder of Mr Falconer. He was interviewed by detectives at Skegness police and was charged on 18th October 2011. He appeared before Skegness magistrates and was refused bail and remanded into custody.

Both Hurst and Hawksford stood trial at Lincoln Crown court on Monday 26th March 2012. This trial concluded today, Tuesday 3rd April 2012.

Michael Hurst pleaded guilty to robbery and was also found guilty of attempted murder.

Aaron Hawksford denied both offences. He was found not guilty of attempted murder at the direction of His Honour Judge Michael Heath. He was however found guilty of robbery.

Following the sentencing, the officer in charge of the case DC Phil Graves stated, "This was a despicable crime committed against a frail elderly man in his own home. He was beaten to the floor and then stabbed in the chest when he posed no real threat to the intruders at his address. Aaron Hawksford and Michael Hurst had no thought for Mr Falconer whom must have been petrified throughout his ordeal. They robbed him simply to obtain money to fund their heroin habits and then left him alone suffering from injuries that could easily have led to his death. They did not make any attempt to summon medical assistance for him. My thoughts are with Mr Falconer at this time as he continues to recover from this attack and subsequent medical problems.

"I am pleased with the sentences given, and I hope that the length of these sentences will act as a deterrent to any persons who target elderly people and also those persons whom are willing to carry or use knives and other weapons whilst committing offences".




Updated: 7th January 2013 at 14:46