Operation Brompton was launched in 2011 as an intelligence, prevention and enforcement strategy within Lincolnshire to tackle the challenging rise of metal theft locally, it started mainly in response to the rise of lead thefts from Churches but has grown to incorporate all theft county wide
Metal theft impacts on all aspects of the community, from crimes affecting individuals and communities through to its effect on national and global businesses e.g. power and transport providers. However, when crime prevention measures are used reductions in offences can be achieved.
Scrap Metal Dealers (SMD's) are a primary disposal market for stolen metals within the UK.
Aims of Operation Brompton
- To reduce metal theft crime.
- To develop a standard response to all incidents of metal theft throughout the county.
- To identify arrest and prosecute offenders involved in metal theft
- Reduce the opportunity for offenders to commit metal theft crime by target hardening and disrupting disposal routes
- Ensure legislative compliance by Scrap Metal Dealers
- Increase the intelligence picture in relation to metal theft
Latest News, Information and Advice